Lead Maintenance Technician
The North Charleston Housing Authority is seeking skilled-qualified applicants for the position of Lead Maintenance Technician. The position will require skilled trades work involving carpentry, plumbing, electrical & mechanical maintenance, HVAC, and related trades work in the repair, maintenance, replacement, and general upkeep of multi-family properties located in North Charleston, SC.
- Perform and oversee the work of other maintenance personnel who are working alongside or in conjunction with the properties.
- Keep all the housing units, buildings, and grounds in sound physical condition.
- Requires the application of independent judgment in determining routine maintenance priorities in executing agreed-upon approaches to resolving problems in performing building maintenance, repair, or renovation jobs or projects with a variety of preventative maintenance programs.
- Consults with the Property Manager on various assignments.
- Maintain records and prepare reports in accordance with regulations.
- Participates in the hiring process of Maintenance Staff.
- Assist in preparations of maintenance budget for each property.
- Conduct inventory of equipment, tools, parts, and supply of materials.
- Takes primary responsibility in skilled and semi-skilled carpentry, masonry, plastering/tiling, gutter, roofing, plumbing, and electrical tasks in the maintenance and /or minor remodeling of units.
- Works from work orders that have been generated by telephone calls from residents or from Property Managers/Assistant Property Managers. Assure that work orders are completed and that acceptable maintenance standards are met.
- Performs and leads in the repair of sewer, water and plumbing, HVAC, and electrical equipment and in the operation of power tools in carpentry work (ex., Building or repairing shelves, kitchen cabinets, wall paneling, and partitions, in the hanging of doors, and replacing porch columns and screening, etc.).
- Maintain Preventative Maintenance Program.
- Adhere to safety policies and procedures to prevent on-the-job injuries and maintain a safe work and living environment.
- High School Diploma or equivalent supplemented by coursework in construction technology or a related field.
- Knowledge of principles of management and supervision.
- Experience in supervising staff and vendors.
- Three (3) years of experience in general contracting, building maintenance, or related trades work, including or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- HVAC Certified
- Experience in multifamily maintenance and experience involving public contact preferred.
- Requires performing activities such as standing, walking, sitting, stooping, bending, lifting, and hauling.
- Ability to coordinate weekly on-call schedules and be available to take emergency calls on a 7-day rotating basis.
- Strong communication skills and basic use of office equipment and software.
- Must possess a valid driver's license, maintain a driving record acceptable to the Authority and its insurance carrier and have access to a motor vehicle.
- Neat, clean, and appropriate appearance.
- Some type of formal training or experience in the following areas: carpentry, light plumbing work, light electrical work, painting, and refurbishing.
- Willingness to pitch in and work in areas other than repairs and maintenance.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment drug screening, criminal background check, and reference check.
Please email to receive the full job description.
Salary range is $52,000.00 - $62,320.00, plus an excellent benefit package.
Submit cover letter, resume, professional references, and salary requirements to:
North Charleston Housing Authority, Attn: Quiana Abney, Director of Administrative Services/HR, via email
(Please type "Lead Maintenance Technician" in the Subject line)
No faxes, no phone calls, or emails for status.
Position open until filled.