The North Charleston Housing Authority is seeking skilled/semi-skilled qualified applicants for the position of Maintenance Technician. Position will require skilled and semi-skilled trades work of moderate difficulty in the repair and maintenance of units, buildings and/or grounds for multi-family properties located in North Charleston, SC.
- Report to the Property Manager and/or Lead Maintenance Technician on a regular basis (daily, weekly, etc.) the daily needs of the property.
- Report any observed problems in units or on the property to the Property Manager.
- Recommend, when appropriate, the use of outside contractors for some projects.
- Works from work orders that have been generated by telephone calls from residents or from Property Manager/Assistant Manager.
- Repairs roofs, screen doors, cabinets, walls, floors, broken windowpanes and screens, doorknobs, door stoops, and sidewalks.
- Repairs and cleans refrigerators and stoves, replaces thermostats, repairs, or replaces light switches, fixtures, and receptacles.
- Participates in the repair of sewer, water and plumbing, HVAC, and electrical equipment and in the operation of power tools in carpentry work (ex. Building or repairing shelves, kitchen cabinets, wall paneling and partitions, in the hanging of doors, and replacing porch columns and screening, etc.).
- Replaces washers in sink faucets; unstop sinks, tubs, commodes, and sewer lines
- Repairs inside of flush tanks, repairs and replaces drainpipes.
- Repairs Formica cabinet tops and paints apartment walls and cabinets.
- Cut and trim trees and shrubs may operate a backhoe, bush hog or other motor vehicle as assigned.
- Sweep mop, clean and wax floors, dust, clean window and glass surfaces, move furniture and equipment, dispose of trash and debris.
- Maintain Preventative Maintenance Program.
- Adhere to safety policies and procedures to prevent on the job injuries and maintain a safe work and living environment.
- High School Diploma or equivalent graduation from a standard vocational high school program and two (2) years' experience in building and equipment repair and maintenance work or any equivalent combination of training (GED) and/or experience.
- Some type of formal training or experience in the following areas: carpentry; light plumbing work; light electrical work; painting and refurbishing.
- Willingness to pitch in and work in areas other than repairs and maintenance, i.e. janitorial, custodial, gardening, painting, etc.
- Experience in multifamily maintenance and experience involving public contact preferred.
- Requires performing activities such as standing, walking, sitting, climbing, balancing, stooping, bending, heavy lifting, and hauling.
- This position will require overtime and be available to take emergency calls on a 7-day rotating basis.
- Strong communication skills and basic use of office equipment and software.
- Must possess valid driver's license, maintain a driving record acceptable to the Authority and its insurance carrier and have access to a motor vehicle.
- Neat, clean, and appropriate appearance.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment drug screening, criminal background check and reference check.
Please email to receive full job description.
Salary is $41,600.00, plus an excellent benefit package.
Submit cover letter, resume, professional references, and salary requirements to:
North Charleston Housing Authority, Attn: Quiana Abney, Director of Administrative Services/HR, via email.
(Please type "Maintenance Technician" in Subject line)
No faxes, no phone calls or emails for status.
Position open until filled.